There is no shortcut to success. In fact, some virtues must be practiced without fail if you want to go far in your life and career. At the end of the day, we are the some total of these virtues and how we exercise these virtues not just consciously but also unconsciously manifests our true nature, our true character. Success attained with conflicting integrity is no success at all. Practiced virtues becomes our habits and habits form our reality. Virtue is nothing but a beneficial quality, feature or trait leading to excellence.
Here are a few virtues that leaders, inspiring people and people walking the path of holistic transformation practices. These are accumulated from good reads, workshops that I had attended & excerpts from real-time experiences with people while in the corporate & generally. The list is not exhaustive.
1. Curiosity: Instead of having the "know it all" attitude, these people have the childlike curiosity that enables them to see a situation or people from different perspective, thus widening their spectrum of understanding & awareness of self & others.
2. Vulnerability: They create trust and courage by being vulnerable and allowing themselves to be judged and seen by others. Vulnerability to them is strength & not weakness.
3. Deep Honesty: They serve from a place of deep honesty and hence they show up very powerfully in what they say, do & agree.
4. Authenticity: They are true to themselves and so thus inspire others to be so.
5. Fearlessness: They jump out of their comfort zones to challenge their thoughts and beliefs. They are comfortable not being good & not knowing everything. They are OK to let their guards down & deeply connect with self & others.
6. Integrity: When you are in integrity with yourself, there is nothing to fear because you are in sync with what you say, do and act. They walk the talk in every aspect.
7. Compassion: They are responsive to other's needs & feelings.
8. Justice: They respect the rights of all persons.
9. Humility: They know their gifts and use them to serve others to make a difference to their lives. People come first than self.
10. Wisdom: Wisdom enables us to discern correctly, to see what is truly important in life, and to set priorities. They make the right choices to maximize potential.
11. Patience: They enjoy & trust the process rather than the destination. They are patient enough not to adopt quick ways towards success.
12. Self-control: They are able to govern themselves, acknowledge & process their emotions with self-reflection & effective responses.
13. Love: Their actions are love-sourced & not fear based.
14. Gratitude: They choose to be thankful for everything in life: good, bad, bitter, joyous because that defines their journey & makes it more wondrous.
Questions that I would like to leave you with are:
1. Of all the virtues stated above, which ones do you practice & relate to most?
2. Which ones are challenging for you or you are out of integrity with & why?
3. What are you losing out in your life because of the absence of any of these virtues?
4. What can you do to practice all of these from today?
"The final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands." - Anne Frank. So, you decide what is right for you.
Leave a Reply.
Life & Organizational Development Coach