Life coaching is profoundly different from training, consulting, mentoring, advice, therapy, or counselling. The coaching process examines what is going on right now, discovers what your obstacles or challenges might be and chooses a course of action to make your life what you want it to be. It is a co-creative relationship between the coach & the coachee (i.e. the client) & a two-way process which is basically led through deep listening, intuitive understanding & powerful questioning techniques. It focuses on innate ability & helps in bringing out the best in the person by guiding him/her towards his/her own inner wisdom, thereby enabling the person in the process to find solutions to their problems through insights, mindfulness, heightened self-awareness & by tapping the hidden potential.
Life coaching has now come out of the closet unlike before. Earlier individuals, professionals, leaders etc. were embarrassed to confess that they worked with life coaches for self-development & growth. Today, they are proud to have a coach. However, there’s a long way to go and my coach friends, seniors, budding ones will agree to it. The coaching awareness is still not as anticipated or expected. People still find it hard to hire a coach or even say that they are working with one even though the results that they derive from the coaching process are exceptional & exponential. There are bunch of reasons/excuses that hold them back & not let them hire a Life coach:
- I love to experiment on my own
- Internet provides me with all information for free
- I am a high-achiever & capable individual
- Had a bad experience of working with a coach earlier
- Procrastination gives me a sense of relief to reinforce my current state
- I know it all, infact more than you do
- Only losers hire coaches
- I don't have a budget for hiring a coach etc.
This is just a depiction of the general mindset & thought around why people do not hire a Life coach. I would love to openly challenge this and show you some of the benefits of working with a Life coach.
1. It accelerates the rhythm in which you learn and perform. The growth curve is exponential. You can save much of your time & effort.
2. It brings in commitment, focus & discipline towards achieving your goals/dreams.
3. It enables you to move forward. You may be successful in your current situation, role etc. but what got you here, won’t take you there. You need another perspective to look at things & guide you.
4. It challenges your status quo, fear, limiting beliefs and enables you to do things that you only dreamt of.
5. All the information in the world is useless if you can’t make sense of it and apply it. Sometimes you don’t know how to do this on your own and you need someone to hold your hand through the process. A life coach does this.
6. It facilitates tapping your innate potential to becoming the best version of yourself.
7. It will help you to come up with a plan/strategy that works for you in attaining your desired goals.
8. A life coach will not say things to please you but to powerfully serve you. Sometimes friends may just hear us out, but may not tell a spade a spade.
9. It enables us to open/share without being judged thereby showing the mirror to our better self.
10. Investing in a life coach means, you are valuing your dreams, goals, valuing yourself and investing in your development & growth. It’s all about the mindset. We spend leisurely but when it comes to spending on something concrete, we deny and find excuses.
The list of benefits is long and intangible. If you still want to know as a proof of how life coaching has helped people, talk to someone who had worked with one or talk to a Life coach and figure it out for yourself. Here are a few names of some celebrities that confessed having a coach which helped them in rebooting their career & life: Oprah Winfrey, Metallica, Leonardo DiCaprio, Serena Williams, Bill Clinton etc.
The final decision is yours. You are the best judge for yourself. Need a help, just don’t hesitate or rely on excuses. Just seek for it. A word of caution, do your homework and then select your Life coach; rely on your wisdom, instinct, gut and overall comfort level. Be authentic in finding the right fit for yourself.
Life & Organizational Development Coach