I was playing this 90 day money game with Master Coach Rich Litvin & his team of professional Coaches. This was a part of the intensive that I attended this year in April at Santa Monica. What we were supposed to do was to define our financial targets for the 90 days; our target income and the amount of proposals that we would be making to our clients to attain our target. I started and as I progressed, I realized so many things. Great coaches just transform you for better. They never advise, nor instruct but in their own ways, they lead you towards your path of growth & development. They make you realize things that you are unable to see & articulate for yourself. They help you find yourself. I am citing few insights from this game that I played so that you too can learn and grow. We call this a game to bring the fun quotient in it.
1. Don't chase money. Chase purpose and let money chase.
2. Money is the fuel for sure, but not the purpose. If you focus on money, then you will get no where. You cannot have enough of anything that you really don't need.
3. Your relationship to money is wedded to your soul purpose. Consider any successful and thriving organization. They are there for their purpose and bigger commitment. Money is the by product of their service.
4. Your purpose may not pay you money instantly. But it will pay you an abundance of fulfillment, joy & love.
5. Develop an abundance mindset and drop the scarcity mentality which most people hold. An abundance mentality can help you improve your performance since with it, you're creating a lot less pressure and anxieties within your own mind.
6. Give more value than what you earn. Always focus on your service. Create something so beautiful and valuable that even money falls short to buy it.
7. Something valuable can only be perceived and experienced.
8. Service is the only & only ingredient that will determine your worth & value. More than anybody else, you will figure out your own worth by the service that you offer. You can only achieve your targets when you serve well.
9. To serve well you must connect well. To connect well, you need to first do the deep work of self-transformation. Self-transformation doesn’t happen overnight, it takes time. It is built with focus, commitment & determination. Self-transformation happens with self-realization of one’s own gifts, blind spots and thereby working in these areas. You can connect well only when you connect well to your inner core. This space is so empowering, effortless and fulfilling.
10. Without leadership depth & craftmastery, you cannot go any further.
Look at these quotes by very successful people:
Warren Buffet said,"Making money isn't the backbone of our guiding purpose; making money is the by-product of our guiding purpose. If you are doing something you love, you are more likely to put your all into it, and that generally equates to making money."
"Money is a function of value creation.The more value you create for other people, the higher the sales of your organization."- Robin Sharma
In the initial years of your career, every young professional should focus in building the knowledge base, the craftsmanship and expertise required to master that domain. For that, it is good to trade with money even. You must chose a platform for your growth & learning over money. I never worked for money. Always what mattered to me was the profile. If the profile was something that excited me and helped me to learn, I would jump into it. Many a times, I heard this from people who focused on money that I have been making the wrong choices by considering profile over money. But, today I know that I was right. I have no regret. Money starts following you when you do the work required to build yourself & master what you love. Drive for purpose and not for money. Create value and not run after money accumulation. Money is a fuel, not the purpose. You need it to keep going to reach your purpose. It's not the other way around.
PS. This post doesn't demean the importance of money, but highlights the importance of service over money.
Coach to People Leaders, Start-up Founders & Transitioning professionals