"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they are supposed to help you discover who you are."
There was a time when I used to ask,"Why me, I just finished one, again another challenge to deal with?! I can never go as per my plan.I thought it to be my way. How do I handle this now?" I wasn't ok then. I wanted things to be as per my plan. But, life is uncertain. There's a plan bigger than our seemingly small plan which we realize over the period of time. After overcoming so many challenges at every stage of my life, now I have become better in handling challenges. I have learnt the art of accepting challenges gracefully, dealing with it by being in my best mental state possible and thereby averting further negativity. But, I wasn't like this before. I feared when I faced difficult situations out of the blue. Indeed, life teaches us many things. It's during the challenging period that we realize our innate talents & capacity to use our creativity and life skills.
We all plan, we dream and we also visualize. We want that to be our reality. Every morning we create intentions for ourselves, so that we can make those our reality. We take care of the four valuable sets: our mind, heart, body & soul. When things go as per our plan, we feel in sync with everything. But when things go haywire is when we demonstrate our true leadership depth. Leadership has many connotations. But to me, leading oneself out of challenges & difficulties is also leadership. Have you wondered why some people can deal with crisis very aptly and some can't? I have listed down few things that you need to take note of while facing with challenging situations, majorly from my personal experiences:
1. When in a challenging situation, it's ok to be fearful, feel pain and get upset. Remember, we are human being at the end of the day. Hiding our emotions will not help. Accept it.
2. Do not react, but take time to sync in and then use your presence of mind to respond best to the situation. Spontaneous reactions will only worsen your situation.
3. Get in touch with your support system. Yes, you don't have to do everything on your own. Your support system includes your family, helpful friends, relatives and any other resource that you think might help you in overcoming the challenge.
4. Check for the things that you can immediately delegate, postpone and look for the urgent & important things in your list. There will be certain things that you may feel is important, but sometimes to deal with the current challenge which is unexpected, needs immediate resolution. So, use your intellect and decision-making skills and attend to it first.
5. It is very important for you to see the big picture then. Prioritize what seems the best for you at that moment. Don't expect perfection but just prepare a quick mental lay-out of what you want & dive in.
6. Last but not the least, give yourself the access to the innate power inside of you during difficult times, trust me you will be surprised at it's efficiency.
When you take the rein in your hands, when you move forward with an intent to resolve, you create your path towards resolution and even the universe conspires to help you in achieving that. Challenges are never offered to you with an intent to destroy you but to make you & help you discover yourself. But, we often see the negative side and ignore the positive aspects. Whatever I am today is because of the challenges that I have dealt with and faced in my life. This is an art which you develop over time and keep getting better at it.
As I blog today, let me confess that I am writing this sitting beside my mother who met with an accident, fractured her wrist and had a minor operation last Saturday. I was devastated for a while. I thought I won't blog for a while, but my inner voice told me to keep walking the path that I have committed to. I am grateful to God & all those who took care of my mother in my absence, because of them today she is fine.
Sooner we learn the art of living, better our leadership depth will be. Let challenge churn out the hidden best in you.
Coach to People Leaders, Start-up Founders & Transitioning professionals