Some from my professional diary, some from my heart, some from my perspective, some from good reads, some from observation, some from life's stories, some from imagination, some from sweet nothings of life...
"For me, there are two types of people: the young and the experienced." - Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam
Can it be that you talk of young minds and you don't quote Dr. Kalam?! Well, today was one of the best days of my life. In fact, one of the happiest days because I got to spend time with the young minds: the future, the hope and the strength of today & tomorrow. I got an opportunity to share my journey and experience with the children of standard 3 as a part of their "Career Day" programme at school. Going back to the classroom took me back to my days as a child. A voice inside me was telling me, "Look, how far have you come in life! Today you stand there not as a receiver but a giver to ignite the young minds!" Let me tell you, at the end of the session, I received more from the young minds than what I gave them. I received loads of love, gratitude and innocence. This nourished my soul because they just poured all of these selflessly and in abundance. They didn't stop applauding; their teacher had to tell them to stop doing that. See, that's how children's are! They give and give and they are so good at expressing their emotions, whatever it may be; that they just let it flow.
I am penning down some learning from that session so that we get to learn from these young minds. Yes, you heard me right! There are so many things we can learn from them. Here's a peep into their minds, their world. And as experienced professionals, we stand in a much advantageous position of leading them towards excellence. It starts right from your home with your child. So here it goes:
1. Be curious like the child: As we grow, we hold ourselves back. We masks, we armour and try to pretend to be who we are not. We don't ask questions because we want to feel like we know everything. As a result, we actually don't learn things after a point. We put on that veil of "knowing it all" and soon lose out. But a child is curious and hence they look for ways to find answers to their questions. There are so many questions that they have, they just need someone who would enable them to find the answers. Curiosity allows you to ask questions and brainstorm. And great questions lead to great ideas, great answers.
2. Show up 100% every time: No matter what, children shows up 100%. They are involved in the moment and what is right now in front of them. They are least bothered about what will happen next and how. They just know how to show up at this moment. So, from them you can learn to be present. That's what being mindful is all about.
3. They believe in their dreams: They are confident that they will achieve what they set out their minds to. They are full of confidence. Whether they know the way or not, that doesn't matter; they just want to dream and have full faith in themselves. This I guess is what is called the childlike trust and faith! Have you ever tried having childlike faith and trust?! Just try and see what difference it makes to your being.
4. They are like sponge: They absorb. Why can they do this?! Because they are receptive of new ideas and concepts. They aren't stubborn and are ready to quickly drop and pick up again. Our limiting mind doesn't allow us to receive all information. It only allows us to accept those that match our judgments, past experiences, our tunnel vision and the like. But, the children's mind is limitless. They are beyond what we adults assume them to be. They can ask you amazing questions that will even make you think.
5. They are fearless about failures: They don't make a fuss about failures. They are very resilient and can quickly change their emotional state. They know how to move on. As adults do we know how to process our emotions and move on? Do we know how to forgive and let go?
6. They are full of gratitude: As I ended the session, they showered me with claps that still echoes in my ears. They can give you the lesson of gratitude and make you feel so special. They can give you love because they are full of love themselves. What profound souls they are!
As I ended the session with these young minds for now, I realized, we too were like these children, then how & when did we become different?! Have we dropped the good things that enliven the child in us or without our knowledge have we lost sight of them? Re-discover the child in you and give life yet another chance. Wake up and dream again, stand up when you fall, cry when you are sad and just be yourself without pretense.
How beautiful it is to awaken the child in you again?! A day with the young minds was truly awesome and fulfilling. It awakened me and the child inside! #Gratitude
Love & warmth, Priyanka
Coach to People Leaders, Entrepreneurs & Transitioning professionals